Student Relations

Student Travel Guidelines

Travel – General Statement

Students traveling on Whittier Law School-sponsored or student organization-sponsored business are expected to exercise the same care in incurring related expenses that they would exercise regarding personal travel at their own expense. As such, please work closely with the Assistant Dean of Student Relations and/or your faculty advisor in preparing proposed travel budgets and planning fundraising activities. This will help your organization ensure that it is of maximum benefit to its current (and future) members, and the entire Whittier Law School community.


Students should travel by the most economical means possible, consistent with professional decorum. Again, please consult with the Assistant Dean for Student Relations and/or your faculty advisor as necessary.

When a privately owned vehicle is used for travel on school-sponsored or student organization-sponsored trips, reimbursement will be at the IRS standard mileage allowance as of the date(s) of travel. IRS mileage rates are subject to change.

Ordinarily, students traveling on school-sponsored or student organization-sponsored trips would not require a rental car, but could instead utilize a taxi or shuttle. Students should seek authorization from the Assistant Dean for Student Relations if they anticipate the need for a rental vehicle.

Lodging and Meals

If required, hotel reservations should be made as early as possible to ensure availability and cost efficiency. When reasonable, same-sex students are expected to share rooms. Accommodations must be reasonable and are usually those recommended by the conference organizers, or comparably priced lodging. Student safety is of paramount concern, so please check such issues as quality and location of lodging.

Whittier Law School does not have a per diem rate for student meals. Students are expected to exercise sound judgment in the expenditure of funds for meals while traveling, taking into consideration proximity to conferences, safety, quality, and related issues. Reasonable and customary gratuities are considered a normal expense of travel and are reimbursable. Bar tabs and alcohol are not reimbursable expenses.


Students travelling on school-sponsored or student organization-sponsored business do not ordinarily require advances. The Assistant Dean for Student Relations may authorize an advance only if a student can show an extraordinary need for a travel advance.

Expenditure Report Form

At the conclusion of Law School-sponsored or student organization-sponsored travel, a student must timely submit to the Assistant Dean for Student Relations a completed, itemized Expenditure Report Form, with original receipts attached. The submitted Expenditure Report Form must be signed by the person requesting reimbursement, along with the head of your organization, its treasurer, and its faculty advisor. The Expenditure Reimbursement Form must detail the expenditures for which reimbursement is requested and their nature and purpose. The expenditures must be supported by original receipts as proof of payment. Expenditure Report Forms that are illegible, or are inappropriately explained and supported, will be returned to the student who prepared the form.

Expenditures not covered include, but are not limited to: alcohol, laundry, personal telephone calls, hotel movies and car rental not previously approved.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact either the Assistant Dean for Student relations and Alumni Relations or the Student and Alumni Relations Assistant. And please remember, always keep your faculty advisors in the communication and planning loop.