While it is most convenient to travel in Southern California via automobile, there are other transportation options in the Orange County area.

Amtrak Train

To find out about time schedules, fares and trains convenient for your commute, call (800) 872-7245 or check out the website at

Auto Club

California State Automobile Club of Southern California (AAA) can provide you with maps and guidebooks of various areas in the U.S. If you are a AAA member, you can also save time by processing your car registration and new license plates through AAA instead of the Department of Motor Vehicles. The closest office is 1 block north of the 405 freeway (across the street from the law school). The address is 3350 Harbor Boulevard, Costa Mesa, CA. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m and Saturday 10am-2pm. They can be reached at (800) 668-9231 or (714) 427-5950 or visit the website at

Bus Service Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA)

The Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) operates bus routes daily. Free maps showing the bus lines and service information can be obtained by calling OCTA at (714) 560 6282 seven days a week from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. except New Year’s and all major holidays or you can visit their website at If you need to know which bus to take, call and indicate your starting point, your destination point, and the time you’d like to arrive and return. They will help plan your bus route.

Basic fare is $2.00 per boarding or $5.00 for a day pass.


There are many benefits to carpooling: save time – carpool lanes save about 20 minutes each way on average, split the cost of gas and wear and tear on your car, have less stress since you are sharing the driving and help improve air quality. The following are some carpool choices you may want to consider:

RIDE GUIDE A personalized commuter planner. Offers information on people you can call to carpool, vanpools in your area, Park & Ride lots near you. Call to register at 1-800-COMMUTE or check out their website at

Department of Motor Vehicles

According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, visitors in California may drive legally in California with out-of-state license plates for 20 days. However, you must register your vehicle. For those who do not plan to get a California Driver’s license, we strongly suggest a California Identification card. Both are available through the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Appointments can be scheduled for your convenience and are highly recommended since the lines are usually long. It takes approximately four to six (4 to 6) weeks for a permanent license or identification card to be processed. Temporary cards are issued. For more information visit the website at

The closest office to the Law School is the Santa Ana Office, located at 1330 E. First Street, Santa Ana, CA 9270. Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:00am-5:00pm and Wednesday 9:00am-5:00pm.


MetroLink is Southern California’s Regional Rail Authority commuter train system. It connects commuters in six counties: Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego and Ventura. MetroLink operates Monday through Friday on all lines. For information and personalized commuter planning call 1-800-371-5465 or visit the website at Speech and hearing impaired commuters call (800) 698-4TDD.