Student Relations


The following are questions frequently asked of Student Relations, and the answers most often given. Please keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list and you are always welcome to ask your questions in person or via email. We know that even the most “general” of questions can always have a unique and personalized aspect.


Q: Does Whittier Law School have an attendance policy?
A: Regular class attendance and preparation are deemed essential to a satisfactory understanding of a course of study. Students are required to attend every class meeting, and instructors are required to take attendance. Unexcused absences may result in grade penalties. A student who is absent from more than 20% of the class hours in any given course may be disqualified from further attendance at that course, and the student may be ineligible to take the final examination. Instructors shall notify Associate Dean Tom McColl (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), 714-444-4141 ×283) when a student has had started to have a number of absences that could result in disqualification under this rule. A student may petition Associate Dean Tom McColl for a waiver of the disqualification based upon a showing of good cause for the absences and an assurance of no future absences.

Academic Counseling

Q: Is there someone in Student Relations I can meet with for academic counseling?
A: Yes, Tom McColl, Associate Dean, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), 714-444-4141 ×283.

ADA Accommodations

Q: Who do I see about ADA accommodations?
A: To make an appointment to discuss accommodations, contact Tom McColl, Associate Dean, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), 714-444-4141 ×283. Also, please see

Changing Status

Q: After my first year, can I change from part-time to full-time, or vice versa?
A: Yes. A student may change status from full- to part-time or part- to full-time only by a petition granted by the Registrar’s Office for good cause.

Class Taping Policies

The Law School does not tape classes for students. We understand that students who know in advance that they will miss a class or more may wish to have those classes taped. It is, however, the student’s responsibility to have a friend or peer tape the class, after obtaining the professor’s permission to tape the class. Faculty members have complete discretion to deny such a request.

Exam Conflicts

Q: Who do I talk to about exam conflicts?
A: The Registrar’s Office (714-444-4141, ext. 277). Please note that, pursuant to Whittier Law School Policy, a student’s examination schedule which consists of three examinations in a 24-hour period start to finish would constitute an approved excuse for changing the date or time of one of the student’s exams. Two examinations in one day is not an approved excuse.

Exam Relief

Q: What do I do if I am ill on the day of a test?
A: Contact the Registrar’s Office (714-444-4141, ext. 277) as soon as possible in advance of the test in order to request consideration for exam relief, i.e., taking the test at another time. Exam relief is not readily granted and proof of illness or other need for exam relief must be provided. Under no circumstances should you contact your professor to tell them that you are too ill to take the test, as that might compromise test anonymity and is in violation of school policy. Students receiving Americans with Disabilities Act accommodations who seek exam relief due to illness or other reasons should contact Dean McColl at 714-444-4141 ext. 283.

Grades and Transcripts

Q: Who do I see about transcripts, grades, ranking requests and letter of good standing?
A: The Registrar’s Office can help you with this request.(.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)).

Health Issues

Q: What do I do if I need medical attention?
A: If an emergency and you are on campus, you should call 911 and then immediately notify Campus Safety (714-444-4141, ext. 401).

Q: Does the law school have a Health Center?
A: No, but Whittier College has a Health Center and the law students are entitled to use it. Please visit for further information.

Q: Does the law school require health insurance?
A: No. We encourage students to research health insurance options. The following websites can help you start your research:

Personal Counseling

Q: Is there someone I can see for personal counseling?
A: Yes, a counselor from Whittier College is available for individual appointments. Schedule an appointment: 562-907-4239.


Q: I have heard that students must sometimes petition in order for a request to be considered. To whom do I submit my petition?
A: Petitions vary. Some can be completed on the Petition form. Others may require you to go into more detail and write a petition in a typical memo format. In any event, please contact Dean Hasl (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)) to discuss. Also, whenever you petition the Academic Standards Committee (“ASC”), as provided for in the Policies Manual, please send your petition to the Dean Hasl, who will then make sure that it is transmitted to the ASC.

Planning my Class Schedule

Q: My first year schedule was set for me. Is there someone I can speak with to get advice on what upper division courses I should take and when I should take them?
A: Yes. Dean Hasl is available to meet with you to plan your schedule and assist you at any time.

Policy Manual

Q: Do we have a policy manual and is it important for me to be familiar with it.
A: Yes and yes! The manual contains information regarding the grading system, class load and attendance, the Dean’s List, and virtually every possible question you can imagine. The Policy Manual may be found on-line as a PDF at Also included in the Policy Manual are the following; Code of Student Conduct; Policy on Plagiarism and Misuse of Sources; Examination Rules; Policy for Students and Applicants with Disabilities; Sexual Harassment Policy; Student Educational Records (FERPA) Policy; Crime Awareness and Security Policy; Drug Policy; Alcoholic Beverage Policy; and Earthquake Preparedness Policy.

Student Organizations

Q: I am an officer or member of a student organization and have questions regarding event planning, expense reimbursement, and other related issues. Who do I speak with to obtain advice and learn about applicable policies?
A: You may speak with Dean Hasl (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)).

Visiting at Another Law School

Q: May I take courses at another law school?
A: Yes. Students seeking to take courses at other ABA law schools, including summer programs at other schools or in foreign countries, must first obtain written permission from Dean Hasl (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)). A maximum of six (6) units for courses taken at other law schools after starting at Whittier Law School will be counted toward graduation requirements. It is best to set up an appointment with Dean Hasl to discuss our policies regarding visiting at another school.

Withdrawing from Law School

Q: How do I withdraw from law school?
A: Before the last three weeks of the semester or the last two weeks of the summer session, a student may withdraw from school only by a petition granted by the Registrar’s Office for good cause. During the last three weeks of the semester and the last two weeks of summer session, a student may withdraw from school only by a petition granted by the Academic Standards Committee for good cause.

If a student indicates his or her intent to withdraw from Whittier Law School, but does not complete a withdrawal form, Whittier Law School will provide written notice that the student must formally withdraw within five (5) business days. After the end of the five (5) day period, the student will be administratively withdrawn from Whittier Law School.

If a student withdraws from school, the student is not eligible to return to school unless they file a petition to Dean Hasl (.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)). Students withdrawing from school will be subjected to the Whittier Law School Refund Policy and Title IV regulations.