Veterans Benefit Information

Veterans who wish to use their VA benefits to pay their education expenses should contact the Office of Registrar as soon as possible. For general questions and answers on Veterans’ benefits, visit these sites:

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Service

California Department of Veteran Affairs

To Receive VA Educational Benefits at Whittier Law School, Follow These Steps:

1. Be admitted to the Law School.

2. Provide the VA representative in the Office of the Registrar with certified copies of your DD 214. If discharged from the regular service, you can secure this document from the VA Regional Office, PO BOX 8888, Muskogee, OK 74402-8888 or email them at . If you are in the Reserves or National Guard, provide a copy of your DD2384 or NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility) to the Office of the Registrar. You obtain these forms from your unit.

3. Get Registered. You must be registered before your paperwork will be processed by the VA representative in the Office of the Registrar.

4. Fill out a VA form 1990, application for VA benefits. This form is available in the Office of the Registrar. Students must know their eligibility entitlement. Questions on the entitlement should be directed to 1-888-442-4551, the toll free number for VA education benefits information. If you are already receiving benefits, changing schools, or major, fill out form 22-1995 in the Student Services Office. If necessary, update your address with the university and with the VA Regional office in Muskogee, OK.

5. The college will submit paperwork for chapters 30, 1606, 32, 35, Sec 903 to the VA Regional Office in St. Louis and chapter 31 to the V.A. Regional Office in Muskogee. The VA generally take 4-6 weeks to process the paperwork. You will receive notification of your award at your home address.

6. If you are receiving benefits under Chapter 30, you will receive an attendance verification form in the mail which you must fill out and mail back to the VA Regional Office in Muskogee, OK before you can receive your check. If you have not heard from the VA in more than six weeks, you may wish to contact the Muskogee, OK office to check on the status of your benefits.

7. Checks are sent to the Veteran’s home address.

8. You must inform the Office of the Registrar of any changes in your enrollment or of changes to your address. We also recommend you notify Muskogee, OK Regional Office of the address change. If you drop or withdraw from any courses, you will need to complete a VA form 4138 in the Office of the Registrar.

9. Veterans are responsible for payment of their fees to the Whittier Law School Business Office by the semester payment deadlines.